Monday, November 9, 2009

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night





I'm sorry for getting this out so late but I couldn't let this day get away from me. I have been away from my Blog for over a week helping my sister in-law cope with her husbands illness and hospitalization.

I'm back now and I will try to get caught up. I was working on my son's Jeremy's Birthday blog when the emergency phone call came in so I'm going to start there and hopefully get into the Holiday swing of things.

I can't believe I missed Halloween!!! My favorite time of year! You see my little Jer was born on Halloween eve. I don't think he really liked being born on such a scary celebration because I made everyone of his birthday parities a scare fest. I remember once catching the whole party table on fire when the black candles lit the pop corn balls on fire and all the party favors soon followed.
To me the best Halloween Birthday party was when I put two refrigerator cardboard boxes down the basement stairs and made a tunnel to the basement. Then I filled the whole basement full of dry leaves (a mistake I would never repeat) and decorated everything in cob webs and black lights. I put up sheets that made mazes throughout the basement and sat my husband on a wooden bench in a while painters suit with a giant plastic pumpkin over his head. Kids would get really close and then he would scare the bejebbers out of them. The high light of the evening was my witch. I stuffed a old long dress of mine with leaves and tissue paper then filled an nylon to make her head and legs with an black witches hat and sat her in an old rocking chair under the staircase. Long after the party was over I forgot to take her down and both my sons refused to go down there. To this day they both remember how scary it was to see her sitting there. Now that was fun! I think our basement still holds a little fear and mystery for everyone, especially on laundry day.

Of all the past Halloweens I have enjoyed none of them can compare to the Halloween eve some 28 years ago when a nurse wearing a pumpkin pin put this little boy bundle into my arms. So happy belated Birthday Jeremy, I sure hated missing Halloween. Hope you had a great day! I'll just have to work harder next Halloween to make up for missing this one, so watch out!! Till next time dear readers I hope you had a great Halloween and look forward to the coming Holidays with great joy and anticipation...For anytime we have the chance to gather family together is time well spent. Please feel free to post your comments and ideas. I love to hear from you... Aunt Onie

3 comments:

  1. Thanks mom! Those pictures are hilarious. Those were the days. I can really see Noah in the 3rd picture down. I remember the birthday fire, I don't know if this is the same one your talking about but I I had some friends ride the bus home with me and when we walked in the front dorr you had some treats sitting on the table with a couple of candles lit, well the treats were covered with a papertowel and I took the papertowel off and I accidently placed it on the candle and the rest of the story is alittle smokey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's excactly what happened! Sorry this story was late getting out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me a break...a lil smokey? Seriously? Your killin me.

    ReplyDelete