Monday, January 11, 2010

Out With The Old, In With The New




Sitting here in the "dead of winter", my mind wanders away from the white snow landscape outside my office window and is drawn mysteriously to a spring time vision of green grass, tree frogs and somewhere in the distance the welcomed familiar sound of someone mowing grass. AHHHHH if it was only Spring! But it's not. It's my least favorite time of year where Christmas is a fast fading memory and taxes are fast coming due. It's where you sit down and look back at the year past and think what you could have done better. It's a time where you notice you pants and sweaters seem to have shrunk more with the new detergent you have been using. Then it hits you like a ton of bricks. This year will be different! This year you will have better finances, a slimmer figure and be more organized. You vow to reinvent yourself because you are looking at a New Year, a clean slate so to speak. Anything is possible!

We should take this opportunity to clean out our closets, organized our bills, and simplify our lives. What better time to do this when we have more time to focus on these task, while the earth sleeps. As soon as the winter months fade there will be so much to do and so little time to do it. It only makes sense to tackle these worthwhile projects now, in the dead of winter.

As for me I will be focusing more on my writing skills and start that long awaited novel. I will be focusing my endeavors to obtaining a literary agent as well. At the same time I am going to work on me. I will be putting more effort into my appearance and well being, inside and out. I am motivated to feeling more fit this spring and summer.

As cabin fever sets in I am revealing some small but useful techniques I have used in keeping my spirits up and positive. We all know that a positive attitude can keep you healthy both physically and mentally. Here are just a few that have helped me through many a harsh winter.

First, sleeping with a lamp near your face a few nights a week can actually help swing your mood to a more happy side. Something about less sun during winter months can play havoc with our good moods. I can really notice a difference with sleeping with a light on my face.

Second take time to pamper your body as it faces cold wind and dry air. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Your body and mind will thank you.

Third, go to your happy place by using smells. Yes smells. Sit by a sunny window and rub some suntan lotion on your arms and close your eyes and let the smell of the lotion take you to the beach or by a swimming pool. Feel the warm air on your face and you can even smell fresh cut grass. Our connection to smells and memories of places you have been are all interconnected and can easily lift our spirits in association. Try other smells of summer and see the difference they can make.

Fourth, transition yourself to focus on the spring and summer months by giving yourself some goals to reach by winters end. These goals will see you through the long winter nights and before you know it, spring will be here in all it's glory.

Fifth, bring color into your winter. Nothing says spring like yellow, blue and lavender so buy an inexpensive bouquet of flowers for your bed side. Set the mood for your meals with a brightly colored tablecloth. Bring a splash of spring to your bathroom and bedroom.

These simple yet effective techniques will help you to stay happy and healthy during the long winter. If you have other ideas to beat the winter blues please email me or post a comment. I would love to hear from you. Till then stay positive and upbeat, enjoy a good book, movie or a romantic evening and be sure to get plenty of rest and exercise. Before you know it we will all be able to pick fresh flowers, feel the sun on our faces and enjoy the wonderful sound of tree frogs. Close your eyes for a second....can you hear the distant sound of someone mowing the lawn?........ Aunt Onie

5 comments:

  1. Hey onie do you remember the flowers in the field you planted? If I close my eyes I can almost smell them. As usual your bouquet is bigger than mine, somethings never change even in my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my hands had more cuts from the thorn bushes too if I remember right, but man those yellow flowers did smell like a piece of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You want to go to a "happy place" get you a jar of Noxema and remember high school and ME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! Do you know how much Noxema you used in High School alone? I can still see you with that all over your face. Still cracks me up. Fresh brewed ice tea and noxema, that's what I remember when I think of you in High School. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gotta love the "happy place" and "happy smells." how'd you know it was me? as if I didn't know. ;)

    ReplyDelete