Thursday, October 15, 2009

Grandpa's Gift


My husband Larry and I had the joy of seeing all our sons and daughter-in laws graduate with a college degree. We both have seen all the hard work and determination it took to get them there. We have been privileged to have been a part of their success. As Larry and I parked in the college parking lots and made our way through the mass of friends and families of these college graduates Larry began to notice something. Every where he looked were mothers and grandmothers. There were little old ladies using walkers, canes and wheelchairs, determined to share in that special moment with their grandchildren. What Larry noticed was missing or who was missing was the lack of grandfathers. This had a lasting impression on my husband since he has turned 58. That was one year older then his father was when he passed away. His dad had missed out on so much and Larry didn't want that to be his fate. Since becoming a grandpa for the first time he wanted so much to be able to see his grandson grow up and be a part of his life and achievements. As for me I never got the chance to meet my grandfathers, and had always felt a missing piece to my life. Larry was a lot luckier then I was. He grew up with his grandpa living next door to him. His Grandpa Hill taught him how to fish, hunt and throw a baseball. Things his father with two jobs never had time for. His Grandpa Hill played a vital role in Larry's upbringing. He taught him how to play fair and to be honest and upright. His other Grandpa Plez taught him the value of a dollar. Grandma would give Larry and his sister each fifty cents when they spent the weekend at their farm and right before they left to go home Grandpa took it back! Grandpas are important people. They are much needed in today's society. The problem with a lot of our youth today is the lack of a grandfather's influence. A grandfather is a great teacher. They are more relaxed then their sons. They are more patient when it comes to teaching children. They are easier to talk to and less inclined to judge. You see, they been there already. They've walked those miles, endured hardships and trials and are wiser for it. They are able to focus more on the simple things in life and children are simply drawn to them. If you are lucky enough to have a grandpa in your life, cherish him, for he is a valued and rare commodity. Listen to him, for his wisdom comes from experience. He has made many mistakes in his life and knows the pitfalls. Be open to sharing time with him and you will reap all the benefits from this relationship. Lastly, we need to take care of our grandfathers so they can be there to witness and share all your important milestones in your life. Above all else a grandfather is to be respected and honored. What they can add to your family is priceless.
Larry is not about to lose out on one moment with our grandchildren. He cherishes every day he gets to spend time with little Noah or Cannon Joe. I have also noticed that the time he spends with his sons brings him such joy. As we anticipate the arrival of our third grandchild he is more then ever a part of their lives. Last week my grandson Noah came running into the kitchen shouting "Papa made me a tunnel! Papa made me a tunnel for my train! I looked past him at the radiant smile of my husband. He was making more then a tunnel, he was making memories. Till next time may you have the chance to know the value of a grandfather's gift. Aunt Onie

3 comments:

  1. As I get older I find myself cherishing the moments with dad more and more. I love to see dad interact with Noah Lee A.K.A.(NoWe) and Cannon. It is priceless. Thanks for writing this blog. I long for the memories of being a grandfather myself and how happy and proud I will be of my sons or son and daughter (which ever God will bless us with). Love ya mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Jer. For years I've been your cheerleader, who would have ever thought you would become mine. PS I think Dad will like this too. Tomorrow starts his well earned vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who says "I long for"? This is starting to turn into some type of literature alter world.

    ReplyDelete