Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Momma Where Do I Come From?


Great Grandpa Hable

No, this is not a post on the Birds and the Bees, but far more important. Where we come from and who we are defines us. How we relate to others depends on how we perceive ourselves. Pretty heady stuff huh? The truth is everyone has a history. Some of us are lucky enough to know that history, while others are still digging for it. As a child we are eager to know where we come from. What were our great grandparents like? Where were they born? As we develop into young adults we struggle with who we are and who we are becoming. We sometimes have conflicts with our parents and it's hard to see a "connection" to them. Looking back at our grandparents, aunt, uncles and great aunts and uncles you can began to relate to them and where your feelings and personalities come from, thus justifying them. Coming from a large family of seven children I loved to find a quiet place and lose myself in a book. My other siblings especially Patti were social butterflies. You could always find her in the kitchen helping Mom or fixing someones hair (with six females in the house grooming was a big thing!) Sitting in a hidden corner somewhere I immersed myself in my book till I heard the familiar and dreaded cry of "Hey, where's Onie?" My hiding place was soon discovered and I was dragged back into the mass of females. I was always fascinated by Momma's stories of our ancestors. My fathers parents came to the US from Czechoslovakia. Grandma and Grandpa grew up just 30 miles apart there but never met till they both settled in St. Louis. My Grandfather was a master cabinet maker. He lived and died way before I was born but I would look at the pictures Momma had of him and stared in amazement at the size of his big strong hands. One day I wondered would my sons have hands like that??? Being the odd duck in my family I always wanted to relate to one of my ancestors who would justify my personality and interests. I think I found her in my "Aunt Frankie". Momma told us about Aunt Frankie and how she was a strong woman who loved to cook and had a house full of children and one husband who she would have to fish out of the local bar on Saturday night. Frankie's house was full of laughter, good smells and friends and family. From the smells and sounds you always knew you getting close to her house. As an adult I can relate to this "Aunt Frankie". It feels good knowing I have a little of her spirit in me. The only grandparent I ever knew was my Grandma Hart. I got my love of books from her. With a strict father she was only allowed to finish third grade but she taught herself how to read early on and at the age of 83 had read the bible four times through. I still have and will always cherish the book she bought and signed for me. Finding out who we are can began by knowing where we come from. Do a little digging through your families history, I bet you'll find "your" Aunt Frankie....Aunt Onie

No comments:

Post a Comment