Monday, December 14, 2009

The Christmas Baby





When your Birthday comes around you naturally think of your Momma. Today's my Birthday and with it comes happy memories of my mother. She often told me stories about how she and daddy were getting me ready to come home from the hospital and an old county judge was visiting a sick friend and happened by the nursery window. He had to come in and see momma and tell her what a beautiful baby she had (I'm just repeating the story, no conceit intended). Anyway the story goes that when she and daddy got home all my other sisters and brothers gathered around me and they all sang Christmas carols. Momma said the little wood stove had the house all snug and warm and the Christmas spirit was all around. This story always made me feel somewhat special.

Now with Momma gone my Birthday doesn't feel that special. Even though my family comes together to celebrate, it just doesn't feel the same. It's the way you feel when you celebrate your Birthday with the one who gave you that Birthday that made it so special. Momma always teased me that I wanted my Birthday to last all week.

It was Momma who always remembered every ones Birthday and anniversary. She would get up early and put your name on the radio so when you got up you heard your name announced. That was great.

When it came to her Birthday it was just the opposite. She hated that we made a big deal out of her Birthday which was June 1st. She really got mad at me when I announced on live radio that she wasn't 84 anymore. I didn't say she was 85 like she told me not to. On Mommas 83 Birthday I took her to the Ft. Leonard Wood Military Fire station where they let her look inside to her hearts content. They were so nice to her and she loved it. Her zest for life was so inspiring to watch. On her 84th Birthday I took her in a medium semi truck and we made a delivery to a factory I was working with in Washington, Missouri. She loved the truck ride and climbed right in (with a little assistants) the cab. We took the scenic ride all the way and she had a blast. I will always remember the time we shared on that trip.

So today is my Birthday and if I sit quietly with my morning coffee I can hear her sweet voice say...."Happy Birthday Christmas Baby!" Thanks Momma for giving me a wonderful life....remember when your celebrating your birthday be sure to remember to give your Momma a big old hug, because no one wishes you a bigger Birthday wish then her! Happy Holidays everyone! Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me.........Aunt onie

5 comments:

  1. Great blog! Happy birthday mom! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did Jeremy have hair that long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally found that picture. Jeremy hid it from me a long time ago. Go figure, I don't think we look anything alike.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Mom also. But if she were here she'd kick that green Phantoms butt. Don't mess with one of her Grands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I have to admit that the Green Phantom has Jer and Adam stumped. If anyone knows of his or hers real identify a reward of one homemade apple pie may be paid. He or she has been the focus of many a family dinner conversation. Again, what fun!

    ReplyDelete