Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Christmas Ornament Party



Okay ladies, start your stretching exercises because the annual family Christmas Ornament party is this weekend! Some of my sisters and other female relatives have shopped all year for this night. In fact we have so much fun some say Christmas is over for them when the party ends.

My heart begins to race just thinking of it! Let me explain the reason for this madness. The main goal for this party is to search out all the shops and stores for just the right ornament or Christmas decoration. Your goal is to purchased the item that will cause the most fury. You WANT everyone to fight over your ornament! At least that is my goal. The men stuff themselves and find a good chair to take this female frenzied event all in.

Everyone brings in food and a feast is enjoyed by all. I try to get there early and sneak my present under the tree before anyone can see which one it is. I can't even begin to tell you how exciting this is. As all the plates are being cleaned up and the kitchen restored you can actually feel the excitement fill the Christmas Tree room as all females young and old begin to eyeball all the brightly colored large and small boxes. I never get suckered into the large box desire. I know that some of the most beautiful and expensive ornaments have come in small boxes.

It begin as a right of passage when any female girl reaches 13. She is then allowed to join the party. Just remember this is not a game for the weak at heart. Everyone is out for the most gorgeous gift. The game rules are pretty simple. This being said it did Take several years to get (all) the game rules down.

This is how it's played. All females are asked to draw a number out of a hat. The girl that draws the 1 picks the first present and opens it. The person who has drawn the 2 goes next. She has the choice of either taking number 1's gift or drawing from the pile. This goes on till all the presents are opened. There are some rules relating to when a present is dead to everyone else or something like that. My sisters keep up with all that because at this time I am too far gone with the stress of it all in trying to keep my favorite gift. I get so caught up in the game I forget to breathe!

This year seems to be one of the greatest with so many relatives flying in or driving to be with us all. What a party!! And everyone is saying this year THEY have the greatest gift! Can I stand it all, I ask myself! Well my tomorrow I will be in cookie making form and my house should smell life cinnamon, ginger and vanilla frosting with lots of Christmas sprinkles. So much to do and such little time to do it all in. This Christmas is going to be so special. Larry and I put so much of ourselves into our gifts this year.

I will pick up my blog after the Holiday but till then my family wishes your family and even "The Green Phantom" a very Merry Christmas and may we all have a wonderful New Year to look forward to.

I would also like to add that my youngest son Jeremy decided to marry his sweetheart in the dead of winter 5 years ago. Don't ask me why but December 18th was the month and day they picked out for their wedding Day. May or June would have been my choice but the festive month near Christmas suited them just fine. My parents married on the 20th of December running off to the Jusice Of The Peace after Mom got out of Choir practice so I guess my kids were in good company.

Christmas weddings are beautiful. I've been invited to several and the colors of reds and white are gorgeous. Everyone is also in a wonderful mood during the Holiday, so much that it's a shame we can't carry that feeling over into January. Anyway, Happy Anniversary Jeremy and Paige. May you walk through this life hand in hand , heart to heart. Aunt Onie
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well Aunt Onie. Look forward to reading more blogs after the holidays. Enjoy your family time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onie, Ashley and I read your blog our hat is off to you for a job well done.

    Hey Aunt Onie!!
    sorry kenzi and I missed the christmas party this year we will be there next year for sure =)

    we love you!!

    the Greer's

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were finally able to log onto my blog, Sharon. I am getting ready to start off the New Year right and get back to business and also blogging. Believe it or not it sharpens my writing skills to blog daily but some people think I will soon run out of ideas to blog about. Could this be true?? And yes Miss Kenzi and Miss Ashly, you were sorely missed at the Christmas party! Thanks for bring your Grandma to my site!

    ReplyDelete